Are you showing up on IG but are still struggling to gain new leads, low engagement, and slow growth? You’re not getting the sales you were hoping you would through Instagram.
Now imagine you could show up on IG & have fresh leads, new followers, daily growth, higher engagement & ultimately more sales!
There is one simple thing you can do today to set up your account for success
& it starts with you IG Bio!
If you have been following me for a bit, you know that I believe the key to success in business is SERVICE! It’s so important for you to fully understand what happens when you have an IG that is full of valuable content!
Instagram is NOT like it was in 2016, you can’t just post pretty pictures and expect to gain followers. You have to be intentional and strategic. This starts with your first impression- YOUR BIO!
If your bio is not something you’ve put much thought into, I promise you are not seeing the results you could be seeing if you took the time to write a better bio. Think about it. Your bio is the first thing people see when they come to your page. It’s how you let people know why they should follow you & how you’re going to serve them. Your bio lets people know how you’re different, it establishes what sets you apart and why they need your content in their life.
I’m going to share with you a super easy formula you can use to write a bio that converts. It’s what I used to write my bio & you will be amazed when you see how many new followers you get when you update your bio using this formula.
But, before we start updating your bio, I want to talk about your niche. Don’t have one? Then stop everything and read this next part carefully.
If there’s one piece of business advice I can give you that I hope sticks with you forever it’s this: you need a niche. The best thing you can do for your business is to narrow down your niche and really define who your ideal customer is.
If you don’t have a niche, figure out who you want to help, what problems you can solve for them, and what sets you apart. The more specific you get, the better! When you’re trying to narrow down your niche, ask yourself these questions: who can you talk to for 20 minutes straight without looking at your notes? What would you talk to those people about? What topics are easy for you to talk about and which topics just feel natural to you? This is how you find your niche!
Once you’ve narrowed down your niche to a target market, you need to let those people know that you’re talking to them. And that’s where your bio comes in. It lets people in your niche know that they should be following you.
Your bio is so, so important because here’s the reality: you only have about 3 seconds to grab people’s attention and let them know why they should follow you. That’s it. You need to make a good impression and the only way you can do that is with the perfect bio. So let’s unpack how you build a Bio Billboard!
How-to Build a Bio Billboard
There is a big difference between a ‘Hidden Bio’ & a ‘Bio Billboard.’ Let me break it down for you.
The Hidden Bio:
- ‘Me’ focused instead of customer focused.
- Very generic & leaves no real impact.
- Random- often will have multiple links or lacks clarity.
The Bio Billboard:
- Grabs attention by speaking DIRECTLY to the exact person you want buying your product. (e.g. Millennial Moms, New Home Buys, Interior Designers)
- Makes you stand out by solving a CLEAR problem for your audience. (e.g. ‘I help moms with ADHD focus with ease’)
- Increases sales by giving a clear path for people to buy your product of service.
Updating your bio will help you reach the right people & let them know why they should be following you. Here is my formula for building the perfect Bio Billboard.
- Update the Name Field. Especially if your handle is already your name, you want to make sure that your name field includes what you do.
- Example: Sarah Fox | IG Growth Coach
- Create a ‘What You Do’ Statement. Make sure you are clearly stating who you are and what you do. Grab attention by speaking DIRECTLY to the exact person you want buying your product or service. Use your bio to tell people how you’re going to add value to their lives.
- Example: I help small businesses grow their Instagrams to get more sales.
- Include your Content Pillars. Be clear about the main things you are talking about on your Instagram. These are going to be directly related to your Niche- which is why being CLEAR on your niche is so important.
- Example: Reel Tips & Posting Strategies
- Share Proof of Expertise. This is a great way to build trust and credibility with your audience. Don’t be afraid to brag about your accomplishments, you worked hard for them!
- Example: 7M views & 1300 Reels Students
- Add a Call to Action. This is one that you will want to update periodically, depending on what you are currently promoting. It can also be as simple as including a link to your blog or website. Whether you are asking them to take a quiz or offering a new freebie don’t miss out on an opportunity to invite your audience to engage with you.
- Example: Grab Your Viral Reels Checklist Here
- Update Your Picture: I know it’s tempting to post a profile picture that’s your logo or your brand colors. But, friend, no one’s going to feel connected to a logo. They’re going to connect with you, start to recognize you, and really get invested in your personal brand, but only if they see your face!
Bio Mistakes to Avoid
You have limited real estate when it comes to your bio. So what you include matters. Maximize the impact of your bio by avoiding theses mistakes:
Weird Profile Names: You want your profile name to be your name or one that is easy to remember and type.
Looking Down Profile Photo: Make eye contact with your new followers! They want to connect with YOU!
No Keywords: Add keywords your ideal client would search if looking for your account
Random Quote: No one cares that you ‘love the magic in everyday’ or’ life is beautiful’. It doesn’t help them.
About ‘YOU’ Statements: No one is going to follow you because you have 3 kids, a husband & love matcha.
‘BUY’ Call to Action: Asking your audience to ‘buy’ before you offer value, a freebie, incentive is not a good first impression.
Here’s my challenge for you: Figure out your niche & go update your bio. Use this formula to write a bio that converts & that gets people excited to follow you. Think about how you’re going to add value to people’s lives with your Instagram & what kind of content you can make that your audience will love.
Once you have your bio updated, tag me @soulfoxsocial to share! I’d love to see how you took this formula & transformed your Instagram profile.